[Theforum] Rambling, was: Barriers -- let's talk philosophically

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Sat Oct 27 22:35:05 CDT 2001

> Before hand I wouldn't have had an idea about approaching admin about
> how to get more involved. I think I would have felt like a peasant
> storming the castle (I'm only speaking for my personal POV here).

I want to say this even though it probably doesn't have to be said. I
have learned though that even when you think everyone is on the same
page that sometimes they aren't. So, I just want to say this and to say
it especially to Garrett but also to anyone else who feels this way.

There is no castle here. There are no peasants.

What there has always been since the beginning is a group of people who
willingly took on the task of building a community that would be
different. I have never seen this group of people act in boastful or
lording manner in regards to their position as facilitators.

I'm rambling and I think I don't know how to say what I really want to
say. Please forgive me.

I participate in a number of different communities online -- all run in
different manners. Sometimes, I wish I was a part of the group which ran
the show but in most cases that's just not possible. That's just the way
things are. However, I'm in control of my participation in those
communities. I can try to cross the moat or I can go elsewhere where my
input makes a bigger impact. Again... I'm rambling.

I guess it just... frankly, what it boils down to is that it hurts my
feelings when I hear the admin group as a whole being disparaged. It
makes me feel sad that there's people who feel "left out". I guess I'm
just cynical. I assume apathy is the norm unless pointed out otherwise.
I wish I could mandate some respect for the way things got to where they
got which does include much participation of members outside of admin.

Although, I'm not suggesting that criticism is not allowed. I guess I
just needed to respond to a specific note of criticism because this is
just how I feel.

There is no castle. There is no king.

- amanda