[Theforum] multiple languages on WEO

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Nov 12 15:51:40 CST 2001

isaac wrote:

>And then a brief disclaimer at the top of the article that tells
>less-than-aware members the language being used and then links to maybe a
>FAQ piece that details plans to encourage authors to write for non-english
>speakers?

I sort of like this model:
http://indymedia.org/

if you scroll to Nov 8 about the Colombian protesters & click in, you
see it's in Spanish.  But someone has stepped in to translate the
article in the comment fields.

While it couldn't hurt to identify the language out front, I don't
know how much more of a "disclaimer" is needed...

>what can't we handle? (greek, russian, chinese, japanese, etc?)

why couldn't we handle those, exactly?  Because of the way the CMS is
coded?  I think it would be problematic to exclude certain languages
because they use a different alphabet.

Also, we would have to know what is in the article prior to
publication, and that would depend on the resources we have available
via membership.

and I guess we'd need another chunk of explanation here:
http://evolt.org/writers_guidelines/index.html

I like the idea of being multilingual.

Erika