[Theforum] Re: langs

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Nov 13 01:01:41 CST 2001

At 07:13 AM 11/13/2001, you wrote:
>The members of our community on weo are members because of our
>content. If OUR CURRENT MEMBERS can't read our content, then what are they
>here for? What will they learn of "culture" from content which they can't
>read?

This is a simple analysis. I'll try my best Spock impression and try to be
as logical as possible.

A gentleman wants to post an article in German.

Scenario 1:

We allow it. Only 10% of our members can read it. Only 10% benefit from it.
But it exemplifies the international nature of the community, and will
perhaps encourage more international (I mean non-US) people to join evolt.

Scenario 2:

We don't allow it. NOBODY reads it. NOBODY benefits from it. People think
this is an Anglo-centric list.

Pretty simple, I think.

When faced with a choice of *nobody* benefitting versus 10% of our members
benefitting, it's obvious what we must do. We must allow the article. Of
course, it should be checked for relevance and usefulness.

Yes, it would be great to have it translated into English so that more
people can use it, but *some* content is better than *no* content.

I rest my case.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant