[Theforum] New feature suggestions

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 15 13:58:58 CST 2001

At 12:02 AM +0530 11/16/01, you wrote:

>At 08:12 PM 11/15/2001, you wrote:
>>i like te idea too, madhu
>>i belive the best solution would be to complete the member pages
>>with more info
>>
>>AFAIK this is being worked on, could anyone give us a briefing
>>about the state
>>if it?
>
>To illustrate what I mean, just look at articles on AListApart.com
>They all have a small bio at the bottom of the page.

Yeah - that's kind of cool.

>I don't know if Apple pays for the articles on its site, but for a
>site like Apple, being there itself is pretty good PR. We need to
>get our site to that level, don't you think? Since we don't pay, it
>would be good to allow *some* recognition.

They do pay their contributors, and the recognition is good. They
have a vested interest in making sure that their articles are
accurate, well written, meet guidelines, etc., etc. because they are
there to push Apple product and the Apple "way" of doing things.
Their standards are high, because they have to be.

Getting the same reaction from people on evolt.org articles is kind
of different - it's more peer driven. Some of the articles are stand
outs (you know who you are...) and are pointed to from all over the
'net as the definitive reference or 'how to' or 'why to' on a
specific subject (how often do evolt.org articles show up on other
mailing lists in response to a question? pretty f'ing often).

We, in general are considered a great source, and there are a few of
the authors who are considered "very smart people who can write".
What do we do to get the evolt.org author = "VSPWCW" link established?

>User names are so cold. They lack the "human" element. A name is
>much better suited for this (especially if your user name is
>cold_logic - like me :)

;)

Interesting.

Would you rather have your name there instead of a username?
Would you like the option to choose what is shown when you sign up
(editable, of course)?
Would you like the option to add a .sig to your postings? What about comments?

I don't think any of this is too too hard to implement - but I wonder
about the load it'll place on 1)oracle and 2)CF.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org