[Theforum] Adding theForum to l.e.o.

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat Nov 24 19:08:29 CST 2001

Daniel J. Cody wrote on 24/11/01 7:07 pm

>voting never has been figured out for this group. and maybe its just me,
>but i think we've gotten a lot done in the past month on this list <gasp>
>without a voting system</gasp>!!

Sure. My machine at home has got a lot done <gasp>without
backups</gasp>, and that's down to been luck (no lightning strikes/
power surges/freak accidents) and lack of being utterly dumb too
(care about what gets installed/run etc).

>the problem - as i see it at least - with waiting for us to decide on
>membership and voting rights/issues/whatever is those things are nowhere
>close to being started, and they're going to take a while to get in place
>once and if they do get started. while we wait for those things to someday
>get done, we lose out on more and more potentially valuable contributors.
>

>things are running so great here precisley because it was opened it up and
>people have been allowed to contribute, lets not forget that.

That's been part of it. But being opened up is not an end, it's a means.
Good people have been empowered to contribute - for sure. But
we haven't hit any problems yet.

I'm not saying we have to close this list until that's resolved. But it
needs resolving soon, before it does. And it could take as little as
one well-intentioned but not fully thought through post to thelist
to do it.

It does need doing, and soon.

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland