emoticons and assumptions (was Re: [Theforum] Re: survey feedback)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Nov 26 14:25:20 CST 2001

>Or maybe we could just assume good will on the part of our fellow posters?
>
>spinhead

I try to do this.  Respond to the words, not to an assumption of
intent.  Email is a tough medium though; that's just reality.  I find
it very imperfect myself.

In fact, I don't think you can really judge a person very well at all
via his/her email messages.  There are so many non-verbal cues you
cannot reproduce.  For example, a forced smile vs. genuine smile.
You know what I mean?

As for Adrian, most of what he's saying is humorous.  He's a
shit-giver. And he can take it as well as he dishes it out.

And though he'd never admit it... underneath that tough, surly,
aardvarkian exterior... there hides a deeply sensitive & caring human
being who hates to offend...

But shh.  Don't tell him I told you.

Erika