[Theforum] [Fwd: [thalist] Any good web developer/programmer Portals out there?]

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue Nov 27 12:41:25 CST 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Erika Meyer wrote:

> where is it said that Evolt is supposed to be a "web developers news
> source" -- or more that it should be more of a news source than any
> other site?

from the faq:

"On June 1st, 1999, evolt.org re-launched its web site as a place where
web developers could see up-to-date and relevant news content about the
web industry in general"

evolt started off with 80% of of articles on the front page being news
related, and continuted like that till just over a year ago. so its not
like we never did news.

evolt is not supposed to be soley a web developers news source the same
that its not supposed to be soley a web developers article source or a web
developers how-to source or a web developers opinion source.

i'm not sure why you're trying to pigeon hole what evolt is.. its what its
community wants it to be.

> I see Evolt as being a place for a community to exchange ideas and
> information.  News is just one type of information.  There are a LOT

so share every type of information except news?

> I question the goal of making web dev news a high priority.  News
> that interests the community gets discussed on the list.  I think the

i'm not sure where you're seeing that. as i pointed out in my orignal fwd,
two people have asked *on thelist* where they can find news. this
illustrates two things:

1.) people within our community have a desire to find something evolt
provides, but not on a regular basis. IOW, it seems to be a priority.

2.) the fact that they asked on thelist suggests that they're not looking
for a discussion list about news info.

also, our list membership and the people that read our website are largely
different people.

> Why look at other sites and be concerned that Evolt is not like them?

i didn't say i wanted evolt to be like any other sites.

> This relates to the "design-related threads" issue as well.  Evolt
> has apples, another list (or site) has oranges.  What's wrong with
> that?  Do we want to have oranges too?  Or do we want to focus on
> apples?  Or maybe we want grapes?

if apples are 'design', its a poor analogy(apples to oranges) because we
also have 'commentary'(pineapples), 'reviews'(limes), 'jobs'(coconuts),
etc.. but maybe i'm misreading what you're trying to say.

> I think Evolt needs to figure out what its specific goals are, what
> its niche is (and should be), and use those ideas to focus direction.

> I do not think Evolt should attempt to be all things web.  For that
> would lead to loss of focus and burnout.

including more news - and i say 'more' because, again, we've always had
news - isn't being all things web.

keeping web developers informed in *all* areas of web development -
whether it be product reviews, ASP articles, news, or IA advice - is the
goal of evolt.org's website.

.djc.