[Theforum] Re: some thoughts

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Mon Dec 3 12:21:27 CST 2001

elfur wrote:

>| >- is there a special allowance to edit, valid for that day or?
>| >do we always let everyone go for it?
>|
>| everyone. article locking would be nice.
>
>again, if you always let everyone have the priv=3 level when they ask for
>it, why don't you just include it in the subscription for theforum list?

Because the whole subscription of theforum hasn't shown interest in
editing articles.

See the process I outlined.

Someone shows interest in editing articles. We let them. Being on theforum
doesn't mean you are an article editor, nor should it.

>how do you really secure a subsection this way?

Not sure what you mean here. How do we ensure that it is a subsection and
not the entire list? If that's what you're asking, you can't. I don't see
why it has to be a subsection. I just assumed that not everyone would want
to edit articles (it's nothing glamorous). But, if they all do, rock on.

You keep saying stuff about subsections, and I don't get your point. *MY*
point is that when someone shows interest in editing articles, they are
allowed to. The only reason I can see NOT to do that is for security
reasons, and so far nothing has been brought up that can't be prevented by
a simple archiving of article versions.

>| We monitor each other's job here on admin. I edited that survey article
>| and caught one or two grammar issues. You edited it as well and caught
>| others that I missed.
>|
>| Same thing, really.
>
>no absolutely not, we monitor each other's job - yes - but we have a
>certain basis of trust ... in the aspect that we know that none of us
>would go about editing the code ... we have developed through practice
>some ground rules (albeit some are still vague).

Why couldn't that same development happen with the group of article
editors?

>| or did I not answer your question?
>
>yes, but in my opinion your logic doesn't hold strong enough for me to
>accept that as our method.

Fair enough.

What's your suggestion? Are you wanting to exclude people you don't trust
just because one of them might edit code in an article and force us to
restore it from the archive?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com