[Theforum] Monthly Recap - Draft Article for Community News .. by Isaac

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Dec 6 21:25:40 CST 2001

At 05:10 AM 12/7/2001, isaac typed these words:
>Do you call secondary education "post-primary"? ;)
>
>The announcement will probably mention the specific degree anyway, so
>that'll work for anyone not familiar with "tertiary study".

Because I can't resist adding my bit... :)

"College" in India means "University degree". Instead of a single
University campus, we have several colleges affiliated to the University.

We use "post-graduate" to refer to "tertiary education", although most
Indians would understand what "tertiary education" means. That's because
"graduate" here refers to "undergraduate studies" in USA. Weird, eh?

And we don't have stages of primary education like the USA. For example,
there's no "junior high". We have
"nursery" (for tiny tots), "kindergarten" (for 4-5 year olds) and then it's
just "school" from "1st" upto 12th "class" ("grade" in other countries).

It's not worth the long discussions, but it's great for increasing your
knowledge of other cultures.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant