[Theforum] Author vs Content: author recognition

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 9 21:48:54 CST 2001

> From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>
>
> > the site isn't about us, it's about the content
[...]
> (I'd love to have time to churn out articles for a pat on the back and
> the betterment of society, but the fact is that I have a business
> pushing its way through a totally fucked industry, and a house loan
> that needs to get paid.)

i was going to reply to this in the original thread, but isaac was
kind enough to start a new one...

i do not agree that the site isn't about us...

i've said it before -- my involvement in evolt.org isn't totally
altruistic... i expect to benefit from it in a myriad of ways (peer
review of works, recognition, other writing gigs, etc.)...

i point clients to the site a lot... i've had unsolicited business come
in from the articles... even competitors recognize that i don't just
claim to know things, i actually write about it and let people
comment on it... hell, even my position on the board of the local
chapter of the AAF was assisted by my writings here...

yes, the site is primarily about the content, but there are other
things it *needs* to push:
- community
- value for the authors

i've got #1 pretty well...

and #2 can be bolstered with little things like quicker access to
author information (so when other web sites or mags cite my
articles, it's by my real name, not just 'aardvark' [which they always
capitalize])... so, i am in favor of the bios, i just think we've
outgrown our design (which is why i -1'ed it)...