[Theforum] RE: [thesite] +1/-1 Author Info Blocks

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Sun Dec 9 22:35:44 CST 2001

1. +1
2. +1

joel

-----Original Message-----
From: thesite-admin at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thesite-admin at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Michele Foster
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 3:36 PM
To: thesite at lists.evolt.org; theforum at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thesite] +1/-1 Author Info Blocks

Hey folks ..

It's voting time again .. ;)

Please respond +1 / -1 on the following two items.  Note, this message
cross-posted to thesite and theforum, one only needs to respond in
either place.

Here's a sample page taken from teo.

http://members.evolt.org/Mishka/authorinfo.htm

We're having file permission issues on teo at the moment, so one won't
see the author's pic being displayed.  Note, I cut a lot of content from
this article and deleted 43 of the 45 comments .. wow, try beating that
on weo.
;)

Anyway, on to the vote ..

(1)  Author's block of info as displayed .. photo if one exists, plus
number of articles written average rating and total number of ratings.
This block of info is styled using the sidebar class.

(2)  Author's bio and other articles .. located at the end of the
article, before the rating bar.  Again, this info is styled using the
sidebar class of the (at this time) existing stylesheet.  This includes
5 of the author's other articles if they exist (there's some fancy math
to this, but I can't remember what it is .. i.e. content categories will
be displayed before FAQ ones .. or something like that).  If the author
has not written any other articles, then that part is left off
altogether (i.e. it doesn't say "this author hasn't written anything
else").  Same with the bio, if the author hasn't entered one, then
nothing is displayed (much better than saying, "this author hasn't
supplied a bio" ;).

Once we've ascertained the level (or not) of support for these two
items, work can continue building the backend required to accommodate
them.  It's been started, but isn't ready for use at this time.

Holler if anyone has any questions.

Michele