[Theforum] OT: Ghoti

Miriam Frost miriam at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 10 10:54:23 CST 2001

Yes, and my favorite Crazy Old Coot, Bernard Shaw, devised a new alphabet
for English. This alphabet has more characters in order to accomodate the
phonemes that are currently represented by dipthongs, and it clears
(kleers!) the ambiguities caused by our current spelling rules.  (Why does
Cathy bake cakes in the kitchen and not the citshen?)

Many fonts of the Shavian system are now available, including a very nice
one called "Ghoti."
http://www.demeyere.com/Shavian/info.html

Once you get the hang of it, it's faster than writing in Latin English and
indecipherable to those not in the know (of course, Gregg shorthand works
for that, too).

trivially,
Miriam

> Yup - I remember "ghoti" as well!
> Reminds me of the Dr. Suess "Tough Coughs As He Ploughs The Dough" ...
> hmmm .. not sure why ... maybe because it's the opposite effect?  Words
> that look the same and sound different?
>>     What is "ghoti"?

www.dynagirl.com
your ruby satellite system control center since 1971