[Theforum] Re: [thesite] +1/-1 Author Info Blocks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 12:26:46 CST 2001

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
> >
> > > ah, but i *am* a user.  that's got to count for
> > > *something*.
> >
> > nope, sorry, nuthin'...
>
> ah, but you have to allow it to account for something or your own user
> feedback doesn't have any weight either.   ;p

madhu's loud enough on this for me... hah!

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > changing the date format is actually not something that
> > i would qualify as requiring user notification...
> > unless you can cite an example why a user might get
> > confused, i'm not seeing it...
> >
> > do we need to explain going from this:
> > 12/10/01
> >
> > to this:
> > 10 Dec 01
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> we need to consider that some users don't immediately recognize that
> the second one above is even a date.

ok, i considered it... i don't buy it... yes, it can happen, but given
our audience, somehow i doubt it...

in fact, i'm so used to seeing dates in international or spelled-out
versions now that the current method confuses me... odd...

> those that notice the date format change and then the ability to
> change the date format for themselves a couple of weeks later are
> going to shake their head and wonder why we bothered changing the date
> format just for a couple of weeks.

it begs the same question -- will it be a couple weeks?  this is the
first you've given a hard time frame... yes, a couple weeks is worth
waiting...

if it ends up being more, well, i'm gonna be a whiny little bitch...
(yes, people, i opened that up for pot-shots)

> in all honesty the tasks are about 5-10 minutes different in the time
> it would take to execute.  to change the format in the template, i
> still have to open a number of templates where it's hardcoded.  i
[...]

you've got two weeks...

(ever see Total Recall? remember the scene in the spaceport
where arnold is wearing the mask and it breaks when he's saying
"two weeks"?  imagine that)