[Theforum] [survey] donations

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 00:34:58 CST 2001

> From: "Elfur Logadottir" <elfur at elfur.is>

> Quick)? | > | > as far as i know, it's moot in the US... | > | > if we
> try to claim any NFP benefits in the US with a foreign NFP, | > we'll
> be ignored... | | and vice versa of course
>
> ok, let's discuss this one a little bit, which NFP benefits are we
> talking about being moot?

things like tax exempt status... if we exist in the US and have any
US citizens on the board, they're not protected... if we use PayPal
or Amazon or another US-based third-party to gather donations,
we're not exempt from US tax... etc...

> because you'd be surprised how well our 'beloved' government has been
> doing for international business ... basically: everything to get the
> foreigners to run their business from here.

well, yeah, iceland can give us all sorts of benefits, but in a US-
centric world with a >50% US membership and US-based services
we wish to purchase, well, the US doesn't care how nice iceland is
to us...

> there are mutual agreements ... and as for europe, iceland is part of
> eec (that is the correct TLA for the agreement between EU and EFTA,
> right?)

hmmm... so would an NFP in iceland be akin to an NFP in all of
the EEC?  would iceland NFP status be completely equivalent to
getting NFP status in all the other EEX countries, saving us the
hassle of any EEC member country NFP applications?

> so, i might know the correct loopholes, but then again, there might be
> some i don't know about, therefore: please explain :)

hope mine helped...