[Theforum] [survey] donations

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 19 19:20:20 CST 2001

> From: "Elfur Logadottir" <elfur at elfur.is>
>
> not following ...
>  you mean that if you donated to 'my' icelandic org, you wouldn't be
>  able to write it off?

dunno correct answer, have to check, but my guess is probably
not... again, dunno...

> | if we use PayPal
> | or Amazon or another US-based third-party to gather donations,
> | we're not exempt from US tax... etc...
>
> ah, you mean that the icelandic org wouldn't be exempt from us tax?

again, not sure, but i believe that's the case...

i gotta research these, since foreign NFPs are kinda new to me
from a US tax perspective...

> it's not a matter of care ... it's a matter of obligation due to trade
> agreements. the us has to recognise the icelandic one ... or rather
> the international one, founded in iceland.

i'm not saying that US law wouldn't, but it might not be as friendly
to foreign NFPs as it is to domestic ones...

> | > there are mutual agreements ... and as for europe, iceland is part
> of | > eec (that is the correct TLA for the agreement between EU and
> EFTA, | > right?) | | hmmm... so would an NFP in iceland be akin to an
> NFP in all of | the EEC?
>
> yes.

cool.

> |  would iceland NFP status be completely equivalent to
> | getting NFP status in all the other EEX countries, saving us the |
> hassle of any EEC member country NFP applications?
>
> yes. the core of the EEC agreement is to create one trading community,
> organisation founded in one country has to be recognized in any of the
> EEC countries.

also cool.

for european NFP status, iceland sounds like the way to go...