[Theforum] Re: [*dmin] #evolt on IRC

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Fri Dec 21 20:35:57 CST 2001

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, .jeff wrote:
> things best left alone.  imo, the topic is one of those things.
>
> i'm only asking that if it has our name on it that we represent ourselves
> properly.  giving an open channel with our name on it a topic that's a play
> on our tagline is not, imo, funny.  it might be if it were a closed channel
> and all the people involved "get it".  however, it's not a closed channel.
> it's open to anybody that wants to join.  suppose someone gets their
> introduction to evolt.org through this channel.  i highly doubt they'll get
> the "joke".
>
> i also highly doubt they'll get the current topic -- what seems like a rant:
>
> *** Topic of #evolt: No more funny topics.

who won't get it? who is on that channel when that topic was there that
wouldn't get it? i count 4 people. so they don't get it? doh.

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > [...] to have a place to chat with X-number of people in
> > the room and not have it logged and archived for
> > everyone to see. And, you're damn right that's because I
> > have stuff to hide.
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> if you don't want the world to see it, don't talk about it in a public
> channel.

hey. one distinction here. it's only 'public' to those that are on the
channel at the time. if matt and i are talking about something personal,
its not 'public' information. its information between he and i.

right?

if rudy joins that channel, matt makes the call if he's OK with continuing
the conversation with rudy on that channel, seeing what he types. if he's
ok with that, rudy, matt, and i all see it - you dont. and you shouldn't.
matt says what he says(in this example) because he understands who is
present to what he's saying. he understands that his conversation isn't
getting archived, and why would a conversation between matt and dan and
rudy, even though its on #evolt, get archived? when a message is sent to
this list, its with the understanding that not just dan or rudy are
getting that message, its with the understanding that everyone on this
list is. IRC is *not* a mailing list.

> and it is ok.  the #evolt channel isn't the place for that though.

as i said above, if some aren't cool with conversation among 2 or more
people who don't with to have their every word logged and analyized, we'll
move it elsewhere.

> logging and archiving does not make it an unsafe place.  all it does is
> create accountability.

who do people on #evolt need to be accountable to, why, and does joe user
know that?

> but, it doesn't belong to you.  it belongs to the community.  some of the
> members of the community are concerned about it.  for example, how do i know
> that someone won't change thebot's description for my irc nick to something
> libelous or defamatory?  answer ... without it being archived in some
> fashion i won't know -- and that's wrong.

does it really matter though? i mean.. common people, its a fucking IRC
bot! who cares?! according to thebot, djc is an asshole. well damn. a perl
script thinks i'm an asshole. i'll get over it.

> i've popped in plenty of times to see harsh words and they started before i
> got there.

ya, too bad you missed the harsh words russ was responding to that didn't
show up in adrians screenshot.

.djc.