[Theforum] ballot not complete

mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Sun Dec 30 14:01:53 CST 2001

> >> Option B:
> > Option C:
[ snipped for brevity ... see the beginning of the thread for the full texts
of both options ]

> That's essentially the same as option B, but with less consistency.

No, it's not. Option B says that we change existing public spaces to suit a
new, and different, public space. Option C says that this new public space
may in fact be able to exist with different standards than current ones.

By stating that the only alternative to full archiving of #evolt is to not
archive *any* public space, you're creating a ballot that many people will
choose to abstain from and not recording an accurate vote. I would prefer
not to see group decisions made by abstentions. I would rather see our
voting take place based on the actual opinions of the whole group.

> I think you're more consistent with:
> > I was one of the Admins who argued strenuously against opening the Admin
> > archive, believing that there is a reason for private, but archived
> > conversation among the decision makers of an organization.
>
> but as the evolt policy is for openness, it's not valid to have openness
> in some public spaces, but not others.

evolt's "policy" is a fluid thing. When I signed off for my break, the Admin
archives were still closed. During the time that I was gone, they were
opened.

Yes, the opening of Admin arguably creates a precedent for archiving all of
evolt's online public spaces, but it doesn't set it in stone.

Public archiving doesn't automatically create "openness". Respectful
behavior on the part of all participants, on behalf of all participants,
creates openness. We could ditch the archives of thelist and continue to
maintain the openness and respect there because we all agree it makes a
better list.

> This voting more about principles (*what* do we want) rather than
> practicalities (*how* do we do it)

Okay, but I don't think all the options are fairly represented by your
ballot.

That's my last word. FWIW, I don't care how this vote turns out. I just
believe that if we're going to vote, we should vote on the discussion at
hand.

Thanks for your time, Martin. :)

David