[Theforum] ballot not complete (and perspective)

Chris Spruck cspruck at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 30 14:25:04 CST 2001

At 08:08 PM 12/30/01 +0000, Martin wrote:
>See, Chris, I'm a "will do B if forced, prefering A, but unjust, inconsistent
>option C is a crappy option" person.
>
>If you have the right to totally reject B, then I have the same right
>to totally reject C, don't I?

Absolutely, but not to the exclusion of A or some other proposed option. My
statement was not about right or wrong or your or my option preference, but
about the choice to add C to the ballot. I don't care if you like it or
not. You have your preferred option on the ballot. Can I have mine? You
offered up A and B and I'm not excited about either. See my point
now?  You're an A-B and I'm a C-A. I'll vote for my preferred option and
you vote for yours - whichever loses, then so be it - we both had a fair
voice and a fair vote. End of story. See Dave's previous comments on
abstention. If it's A or B ONLY, with no opportunity to at least consider
C, then I'd probably abstain too and think your voting process was a crock
of shit. :) At that point, you might as well say only A people get to vote
at all. Until I see a significant number of people telling me I'm an idiot
for even being interested in C as a possible alternative, I'm agreeing with
the suggestion that it be added to the ballot. We each have our preferred
and second choice - they are different and that's fine. I'm not going to
vote for one of your two favorites, just because you don't like one of my two.

Chris