[Theforum] Re: newsletter vs. new article notification (was Re: [Theforum] evolt IA)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jan 2 16:51:36 CST 2002

On Wednesday, January 2, 2002, at 09:42  pm, Michele Foster wrote:

> If they are subbed to thelist they are
> already getting that email that Dean sends out.

Depends if Dean's email continues alongside or whether
the new one replaces.

I'd say 'replaces'

>  Don't you mean to subscribe
> everyone that is NOT on there?

Maybe that too

(having just recovered my OS X box from a major screwup in
network settings done at 4am while trying to get Zope running...
which it is now - and I'm back at work tomorrow)
<tip>If you break your OS X network settings while overtired
and reboot your box, you won't be able to get back into it
because OS X hangs on initialising the network using your
dumb settings. To fix, you need to:
1) Boot into OS9 using the CD
2) Make the /private directory visible (you'll need a CMM
    plugin or similar which probably means rebooting again
    into the version of OS9 you have on your hard drive -
    the system folder on the CD has the StartupDisk control panel)
3) Edit /private/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml
     with your handy text editor and fix what you broke.
4) Make /private invisible again
5) Reboot into OS X and pray a lot while waiting for
     the boot sequence to get past the Network Initialization
     section.

Alternatively, you can panic for a few days, borrow another
machine and work the above out from Apple's almost non-existent
documentation, which doesn't cover the format of preferences.xml -
that one you'll have to work out
</tip>
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,