[Theforum] Re: quick thought on our search boxes

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat Jan 12 16:07:09 CST 2002

aardvark wrote:
>JS is not necessary by any stretch...

I never said it was necessary.

>assuming i were coding this in ASP, i'd take all three searches,
>stuff the full contents of the code required to do those searches
>into three seperate include files, and call those includes in one
>master page...

eek. apples and oranges, my friend. not because it's in CF rather than
ASP, but because the site architectures are completely different. Take a
look at the code and you'll see what i mean.

or read my quick overview here:
http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020107/002583.html

the first logic is based on the section, not the action. it goes like
this:

switch (section)
	case "user"
		include user_logic
	case "comment"
		include comment_logic
	case "article"
		include article_logic

if you want to see this in the code, check out app_chooser.cfm.

then, user_logic would be something like this

switch (action)
	case "userinfo"
		include user_page_script
	case "search"
		include user_search_script
	case "edit"
		include edit_user_script

changing the order of the two series of logic would drastically affect the
site. all to unclutter the search?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com