[Theforum] Re: quick thought on our search boxes

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 12 16:58:45 CST 2002

> From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
[...]
> eek. apples and oranges, my friend. not because it's in CF rather than
> ASP, but because the site architectures are completely different. Take
> a look at the code and you'll see what i mean.
>
> or read my quick overview here:
> http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020107/002583.htm

ok... got that... can i ask, though, why we need to submit to a
page in the URL scheme?  why not just submit to a CFM page?

obviously my CF knowledge is lacking, but it looks like the first
issue is that the URL scheme is in the way... so why not remove it
from the equation?

> the first logic is based on the section, not the action. it goes like
> this:
>
> switch (section)
>  case "user"
>   include user_logic
>  case "comment"
>   include comment_logic
>  case "article"
>   include article_logic

so, do we *need* to submit to this?  can't we submit to
/search.cfm?

> if you want to see this in the code, check out app_chooser.cfm.

don't have access, sorry... at least i don't think so...

> then, user_logic would be something like this
>
> switch (action)
>  case "userinfo"
>   include user_page_script
>  case "search"
>   include user_search_script
>  case "edit"
>   include edit_user_script
>
> changing the order of the two series of logic would drastically affect
> the site. all to unclutter the search?

ok, i see that point... does removing the search itself from the URL
scheme help?  can we pull the results into a page that uses the
templates *without* being restricted to the URL scheme?

> like i said, look at the code before you go and say something like:
>
> >i don't buy that at all

sorry, i have a bad habit of not taking "no" for an answer...