[Theforum] Fwd: Job posting policy

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Jan 23 04:41:49 CST 2002

Hi folks.

I'm a subscriber to the Online Writing Lists (OWL) run by the Poynter
Institute. Recently, a member asked if she could post details of an
available job to the list.

The moderator of the list, Steve Outing, then replied with this:

>OK, I'll elaborate since I see I left out a key phrase that
>explains this. Poynter is a tax-exempt non-profit. As I
>understand the issue, services that Poynter provides (whether
>in-person events at the school or the Web site) cannot
>directly compete with entities that do the same thing but
>don't enjoy tax-exempt status. Thus, Poynter can't operate
>services that compete with media/journalism job services --
>which would be the case if list rules for OWL permitted
>posting job openings. Likewise, Poytner has a policy that
>the institute does not engage in job brokering at the in-person
>seminars. Managers who send staffers to Poynter training must
>be confident that their employees won't be picked off by others
>who might view the institute as a rich pool of available talent.
>
>I recognize that with OWL, this is inconvenient. It would be
>nice to allow job postings. I'll investigate if there's any
>leeway as far as the list is concerned, but I'm not holding
>my breath.

I'm forwarding this because I immediately thought of evolt.org and our
efforts to become a tax-exempt non-profit entity. If this were to happen,
and if what Steve wrote is correct, we may no longer be able to list jobs
on the evolt.org Web site.

If someone knows more about NFPs and this specific requirement, please
confirm this. Since it involves abandoning a part of our site, it's
important that we know.

BTW, where are we with that NFP application anyway?

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant