[Theforum] Fwd: Job posting policy

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 24 18:37:00 CST 2002

On Wednesday, January 23, 2002, at 03:17  pm, mccreath wrote:

> The public school district that I work for receives a government subsidy
> (called E-Rate) for our Internet connection (to the tune of about $1
> million
> a year). That subsidy is conditioned on a few different things, but the
> big
> one is that we cannot provide services for employees that compete
> for-profit
> ISPs, specifically home connectivity to the Internet. We provide all
> kinds
> of services that ISPs provide, but they are specific to work: we have a
> web
> site builder (a CMS) for the teachers, but they are only allowed to use
> it
> for work-related posting (no photo albums of the new baby, etc.) and we
> provide email accounts for all employees, but those are (theoretically)
> only
> for work, too.

David

I'm wondering if that's a condition of your subsidy (ie specific to
your situation), or if it's general law that NFPs can't do anything
a for-profit does. It sounds to me like your funding is more in a
place of "Don't let the buggers waste our money on fun^W stuff
unrelated to the stated purpose of their grant"

Because I'd be surprised if there's a valid NFP service which
*isn't* provided by a commercial operator which is in competition
to some extent:
* housing
* education
* healthcare