[Theforum] 'Headlines' announcement list

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 19:57:26 CST 2002

--- Martin <martin at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> Defaultly-checked option on thelist signup as an
> alternative.

IMHO we'd be best off, simply adding the headlines list to
the front page of leo. This way it's still visible to
everyone ("Want to keep up with the latest happenings on
evolt.org?" blah blah about headlines...), and it doesn't
have the slightly tainted reputation of default checked
checkboxes - how many sites have you seen which try to use
default checked checkboxes to sign people up for spam
services when you sign up? I feel checkboxes should only be
default checked for choices the user has already made, to
preserve them. Other places where it's felt that it's
necessary to default check things, it's probably better to
simply reword the text for the checkbox.

This way, people who want the headlines will see it and get
them. People won't accidently get it, which even though
it's non spam could make the person annoyed with evolt.
Plus this way you cut off the association between headlines
and thelist, something which should be done, once again
IMHO. After all, they really don't have anything at all to
do with each other.

Lach