[Theforum] 'Headlines' announcement list

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Jan 28 21:25:01 CST 2002

hi lach

i agree with your points about not using default checked options

however...

>IMHO we'd be best off, simply adding the headlines list to
>the front page of leo. This way it's still visible to
>everyone ("Want to keep up with the latest happenings on
>evolt.org?" blah blah about headlines...),

sorry, i disagree

personally, i don't like having to visit sites to find out what's new, i
would rather they send me a short announcement in an email

sometimes, firing up a browser and waiting for a page to load is
maddeningly slow -- whereas a few hundred bytes in a text email is
supremely quick and easy, especially if email is what i happen to be doing
(i rarely surf while working)

also, emails are easier to manage, as you can slot those which promise
interesting news into a "to read" mail folder as a reminder -- whereas if
you have to go visit a dozen sites to find out what's new on them, you end
up either a) reading the news right then, which may not be efficient, or b)
keeping extra notes, similar to the email announcements you didn't get, or
c) forgetting to check all the sites every day

remember, this announcement service has its greatest potential for evolt
when it is not targetted at the people on thelist, but targetted at people
who aren't -- like editors of other news services (places like
moreover.com, webreference, webreview, etc. etc.) -- we're not going to get
these busy people to REMEMBER to come to l.e.o. every day to see what's new

rudy