[Theforum] Re: voting

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Jan 30 11:47:23 CST 2002

Amanda wrote:

>With a group this large, there should be a system of voting.
>
>Right now there's the +1 which is okay but lacking in some features
>which some people would like to have. Is that okay?
>
>- amanda

+1

I just want to add a little bit.

If I learned anything from the process experiment (are the archives
still up? --I could never remember the URL.) I learned that in a
group this large and loose, simplicity is also very important.  I
think that our voting system at the process was a bit too complex.
Having an application that handles start & end times & tallying would
be very very very very very helpful. ;-)

There are qualities I think that are important to processes
(including but not limited to voting):

- simplicity -- a group so large and loose needs to be able to
understand a process with a minimum of study.

- fairness -- a process should be set up to be as fair as possible to
all participants.

- documentation -- everything needs to be written down clearly and
kept in an easy to find location.

Thank you all,

Erika