[Theforum] The footer?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 09:07:17 CST 2002

> From: "Brian King" <BKing at Impact-Technologies.com>
[...]
> service waiting room). But, ...if someone is sooo sensitive that they
> can't deal with little prodding or an intentional jab here or there,
> they certainly aren't going to survive in the real workplace.  Dealing
> with issues that seem to strike at one personally is just as much a
> skill as learning to code.  You don't make it in management with
[...]

look, of all the people here, i think i embody the idea that words are
just words and you either suck it up, or fire back...

the problem is, instead of responding with well-reasoned
arguments, some people feel it's ok to snipe from the footer...  i
don't care who gets offended by it (frankly, some have bothered
me), and being offended or fear of being offended is not why i'm
pulling it...

i'm pulling it because some people just use it to fire off childish
remarks, and should anyone respond to those remarks in the
footer, it's an instant degeneration into name-calling...

can  you imagine how UN meetings would go if every time
someone got offended, he wandered out of the room, and then
stuck his tongue out on the other side of the glass (only to wander
in again playing innocent)?  do, it doesn't hurt anyone, but i'm sick
of that childish crap and i don't like the precedent it sets...

i'm not trying to prevent people from being offended, i'm trying to
prevent the childish antics where i can, and the footer was just one
example...

[...]
> to deal with it.  So far from what I have seen, there are several
> people whom are part of the core here at Evolt who go out of there way
> to foster a diplomatic response to things that people take as
> personal.  Trust me I have tested those limits myself :).  I applaud
> those who are doing that.  I don't believe that you are ever going to
> be successful at quashing the offensive remarks.

i don't want to quash the offensive remarks... i, for one, would like
to start making some...

i just want to kill the precedent some wanker sets by taking cheap
shots from the footer instead of standing up like a man and
challenging it, or better yet, ignoring it, like the vast majority of the
people here do so well...  look at the disruption this one person has
caused already...

now, if anyone else has objections, issues, whatever, please mail
me offlist...

if you've got an issue with another member being a childish wanker,
mail me offlist... believe it or not, i can moderate pretty well...

it's hard for a group of people with passion about a topic to not let
themselves get emotionally invested, so i don't want to quash
that... i just want this 17-year-old high school neener-neener stuff
to go away...