[Theforum] Closing Early, Re: Voting Reqs

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Fri Feb 1 13:41:03 CST 2002

--Michele said:----------------------------------------
One question, if I understand correctly, you specs indicate that the
results
of the vote will not be available until the vote closes?  Is that
correct?
Or is it after the 50%+1 number of registered voters have voted then the
results are available?  My point being if there's a vote slated to last
week, but the results are in after a day, it would be nice to know the
results earlier then the said closing date.  Just a thought of course.

I do not want the result to be tallied as the vote moves along. That
could influence voters. So, I tried to address that in the point where I
mention that number of people who have voted. That way there is at least
some indicator of where the poll is in terms of numbers.

I feel like that issue, though, will need to be addressed as we go.
Because there's a number of complicated scenarios that could come up.

One of those issues is that people can change their vote at any time. I
want that to happen as there is always continuing discussion happening
on our forum. If people raise some points during a poll and that might
change someone's mind. For that reason, closing a poll early (before the
stated deadline) might unfairly disrupt someone's right to vote the way
that they want.

But, I think this is treading into how we actually conduct polls and not
in how the app works. Perhaps the real issue is allowing a certain
person to close a poll early if necessary. But, I can think of ways that
this could get abused, too.

Here's the essential question, I think: Should the person who creates
the poll be allowed to close it early?

How we answer that may necessitate an addition to the reqs doc.

- amanda