[Theforum] Changes to the VotingReqs document

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Mon Feb 4 16:07:03 CST 2002

From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>

| correct.
|
| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
| > this makes me think that maybe we should have the total
| > anonymity a possibility, but with the reprocaution (sp?)
| > that you can't change your mind during that vote.
| ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
|
| unfortunately, total anonymity means there's no way for me to guarantee
that
| you only vote once.  presentation layer anonymity would mean no one but
| those with db access could see who voted on what (and even then it would
| require some work).  i think in the end though there's no real way to do
it
| and provide complete anonymity.

not giving up :)

i'm assuming that the db spec says you will store the userID along with the
vote result and that way you can look in the results for certain ID and
change that record whenever changes ones mind during voting period. please
correct me if i'm wrong.

what about a slightly different approach when (and only when) we want total
anonymity (and i do see the need for total anonymity, rarely, but i still
do).

What about storing the userID in a different place when we want anonymous
voting. even in its own table named ANONYMOUS_VOTING or something ??
that way you write the vote result to two places ... the result table,
without the userID and the anonymous table (only the userID and the
questionID). this would call for a flag of the type of voting, but we're
doing that anyways for the voting vs. polling.

this way you can have the 'normal' design with the exception that we do
allow for totally anonymous voting when the need rises.

thanks
*the persistent one*