[Theforum] fundraising again.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 2 03:50:42 CST 2002

then let's not use the word barriers, let's use investment...

any project, community, neighborhood, food group, etc. performs better when
those who participate have some sort of investment, some sort of ownership...

i have put a lot of investment in time and energy into evolt.org, have had it
since day one, and that's why i'm still here...

other people who feel that ownership, that investment, are more likley to
contribute to the whole more effectively, or at least re-think their less-than-
ideal contributions...

i think if you replace 'barrier' with 'investment', you'd see that the negative
connotation on 'barrier' is the main reason you're resisting the word...

how you implement it can, of course, have the opposite effect, but the
concept is old and tested...

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
>
> ok, this is gonna seem like a total asshole move :)
>
> i saw derek's book in progress, and i was on of the first to buy it.
>
> the 'barrier' thing was a huge thing for me. we talked about it.
>
> community friends, is not about barriers. barriers tend to restrict,
> no matter how much they may 'benefit the community'. has anyone else
> seen the mess that is metafilter lately?? matt put up the barrier, and
> wow, has it hurt the community.
>
> if i wrote a book(heh) about communtiy, i would so make a point of
> inculsion. barriers are exclusion.
[...]