[Theforum] Re: [admin] That $1k a month hosting bill...

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 5 17:26:32 CST 2002

Marlene Bruce writes:

> >...this could save us forking it out, and do it in a one-step rather
> >than struggling from month to month with merchandise sales
> >
> >Note "unlimited traffic" - what are we on, 100Gb a month or so
> >and growing? They're on an OC3 btw rather than Stark's T1,
> >although I obviously don't know how much they utilise it atm.
>
> Hey, something worth looking into by Dan and anyone else who handles
> the servers. Any way we can get some of the plusses and minuses out
> there for discussion? Dan, what's your feeling on this matter?
>
> If we could put profits from the merchandise sales towards other
> efforts, that couldn't be anything but A Good Thing!

What kind of support could we expect if a server/network went down?
Is anyone within driving distance to maintain the servers?

What does this hosting company expect in return?  Their initial
contact was about wanting to advertise on our site.  And then after we
turned them down, they're suddenly willing to host our stuff?  It
makes me curious, if not suspicious.

Dean