[Theforum] Fwd: Hosting

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Apr 16 02:39:30 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 02:00  am, Daniel J. Cody wrote:

> any reply from this guy yet?

I was waiting until we'd done some due diligence and decided
that it was A Good Idea. I had warned him that it might take a
wee while, so we're OK.

> i couldn't get much from my friend at
> savis, they have some sort of NDA with the company, unsuprisingly.
>
> i poked arounda  bit more about these people, and their 'dedicated'
> servers aren't really dedicated, but partitioned OS images all running
> on the same machines. VMware sells software like this(which is very
> cool) that allows you to partition off hundreds of OS's on the same
> piece of hardware. so if they have a 4x xeon machine with 4Gb of RAM,
> they partition off 1Ghz of CPU time and 1Gb RAM to each virtual OS.
>
> tangent: i'm trying to vmware to donate this software to us for an
> advanced type meo server that people could learn linux/freebsd or any
> other free OS on. how cool would your very own djc.evolt.org or
> joeuser.evolt.org server be?

Exceptionally!

Sounds like it could make new non-member stuff (ie shared things
like feo) easier to get going too.

> its really cool technology, but they're not very up front about it for
> whatever reason. martin, can you contact him again saying that we're
> interested and get some sort of basic SLA in place(you don't own our
> content, etc..)

OK. It'll also need proper levels of support (ie the same attention
to down-time as if we were paying for it.)

> and see what exactly they want in return? if you can get
> everything hammered out by the time i get back from vacation, i'll put
> the IE section of the browser archive on their server for a bit, and
> we'll see how it works. if they screw up, i'll just have b.e.o point
> back to itself.

Sounds like a good plan.

What do you think to co-lo in the longer term?

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,