[Theforum] What do you want to do ? Faster, evolt, kill kill!

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Fri Apr 19 08:05:13 CDT 2002

This is a response in general to the security and lock down issues that are
being 'discussed'.  I strongly feel that an software oriented organization's
success is inversely proportional to that amount of security and lock down
techniques employed by that organization.  The more open and free the
user/consumers/participates are to make changes the more successful the
product is going to be.  There is a sense of ownership that comes with an
individual making a change or modification to a 'system'.  The following a
link to a story that Salon.com ran this week regarding how this approach has
effected the gaming industry.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/04/16/modding/index.html

It is a good article and even mentions how other organizations that are
locking down their products are seeing the negative results, in both sales
and public attitude toward their establishments.

Locking things down is not the answer to protecting a product.  Enabling
people to buy into the product via a sense of ownership is.  I think that
locking individuals out of certain functions is nonsense and petty.  If the
person you grant access to proves that they cannot be trusted, deal with it
on an issue by issue basis.  Mutually assured punishment is the answer
there, not not assure denial of access.

The above statements are simply my opinion.  I am not attempting to thwart
anyone's authority with them.  Please do not take it that way.

Brian