[Theforum] Re: questions?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Mon Apr 22 16:36:06 CDT 2002

Hi Erika,

I'm really kind of hoping this is a rhetorical exercise ... but here goes ...

At the moment ... I think you are correct.

(a) As far as I can tell, evolt.org is not, at present, a legal entity of any kind.  Therefore, I would say - no, evolt cannot "own" anything at the moment, evolt cannot "buy" anything at the moment, evolt cannot earn income or pay taxes, and most regrettably, evolt [in and of itself] cannot accept contributions at the moment.

(b) As far as I can tell evolt.org cannot, at present, function as an organization w/o Dan.  His generousity is a big part of what keeps this thing going.  Some of us may have chipped in here and there to cover costs for a few days worth of bandwidth, but -- in our current organizational status -- I really couldn't see this thing lasting out the year w/o Dan or someone very much like Dan stepping in to foot the bills.

That's not the only reason I'm glad he's around ... but I do really appreciate his covering the costs.

RonL.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erika Meyer [mailto:emeyer at lclark.edu]

As for me me, I want to see if evolt can function as an org (without
Dan).  If something "belongs to evolt.org" -- what does that mean?
Is evolt.org an independent entity?

My position is that evolt.org is something imaginary, without
substance.  It cannot legally "own" anything.  I hope to be wrong
about this. If so, someone please explain and provide supporting
documentation...