[Theforum] Re: Monkey Groups (was: Summary of entire discussion)

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Wed Apr 24 18:04:28 CDT 2002

> Here's another way of thinking about it. You could view 'root access'
> in this context as 'root access to the *organisation*' - the power to
> do anything to the organisation.

Well, when I say 'root access', I mean 'root access'. I don't expect
everyone on the steering committee to be granted root access.

I do think there are qualified people who will sort into these different
groups (if we go that route) who have built the system and been active
in all sorts of ways since the beginning that can do the group further
good by having the sort of power to *make things happen.*

Why do I want more people to have it? Because then I (and you) can have
more productive conversations and projects because someone very near to
you is a person who can *make things happen.*

This also has to do with sustainability and who can carry the ball. If
only one or two people have the power then it becomes a bottle-neck.
What if they are away, unable to assist or unwilling to assist then the
system grinds to a halt.

I don't think the group with root access should be continually shifting
group. Pehaps they are elected by the steering committee based on skill
and interest but new rooters would happen far less often than new
steering members.

I guess.

- amanda