[Theforum] Charter Working Group

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 01:51:28 CDT 2002

>>Maybe we should create a special committee to draw up Monkey Group (or
>>whatever name) charters, subject to a forum vote? The groups themselves
>>can change the charters, of course, but we have to start somewhere, give
>>some sort of clue as to how the organization should develop, so that
>>people have something to agree or disagree with.
>>
>>Anyone in? Anyone totally opposed?
>
>ya, i'd be in, and think its a good idea.

OK, since I proposed it I suppose I have to see this idea through.

>its kind of like training wheels if we're going this route, right?

Yep. We start now and we'll see where we end up. Maybe the idea of working
groups won't work at all, but we won't know if we don't try. Does anyone
think it won't work? If so, why not? Or has it been tried before?

>so what i'm hopefully getting at is forming a group like you suggest
>peter would be pretty much the way (i at least) would hope the new
>groups would work.

OK, I propose the institution of a Charter Working Group.

Goal: To produce a template charter for the five groups (using Isaac's
names): Backend, Frontend, Content, PR, Finance. This charter will describe
how the groups will interact, what their scope will be and the access policy
that goes with them.
As to the inner workings of each group, the template charter will probably
give some guidelines but leave the details up to the group itself.
All findings subject to a vote on theforum (but not a discussion, the
discussion takes place within the working group).

I suppose we'll start with my proposal
(http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/CaseStudy) since it is, as far as I
know, the most complete one available (though not uncontested).

If you have any strong feelings about my proposal or the subject in general
you probably belong in the working group.
Currently Brian, Dan and myself wish to be members of this group. Anyone
else?

Does anyone think this is a bad idea? If so, please say so. If I hear
nothing I'll assume theforum as a whole agrees with the institution of this
working group.

There's no real hurry; I myself will be gone over the weekend and evolt.org
is running OK-ish at the moment (at least, I haven't heard anything to the
contrary). So real work would start somewhere next week.

ppk