[Theforum] Responsible public list practices

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Tue May 7 17:26:25 CDT 2002

At 21:37 07/05/2002, you wrote:
> > IF I WAS CAUGHT READING A PUBLIC EVOLT.ORG LIST WITH A
> > PORNOGRAPHIC SUBJECT LINE, I WOULD BE FIRED FROM MY JOB.
>

>Lemme get this straight...
>
>You work for a place that will fire it's employees if porn spam gets
>through to their work email?
>
>How do they justify *that*!? I thought spam email with porn in the
>subject line was just part of life on the internet...

This is just a part of the unfortunate tedium you have to deal with when
you work for extremely large and professional corporate clients.

Reading evolt.org at work is a privilege that I had to request. It's
allowed specifically thanks to a firewall policy *just for me*, and it has
been made extremely clear that abuse of such privilege can result in
instant dismissal. I try my best to filter spam, and thankfully my home
accounts are relatively free, but as I have pointed out before, filtering
lists like this could cause the loss of valuable information.

You might think this is small-mindedness on the part of management, and I
would be inclined to agree. However, the benefit is that I can use
experience I gain on *really big projects* and feed it back to the
community, on the company's dollar.

Seb.