[Theforum] finding a home for weo & leo

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon May 20 08:21:53 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 20, 2002, at 01:59  pm, rudy wrote:

>> We also need to be thinking through the criteria we'd use to evaluate
>> potential hosts. For me, one of the key things is that, whether or not
>> it's donated, it's run as a professional service (complete with
>> enforceable SLAs), rather than as a favour which runs the risk of not
>> being a priority when it needs attention.
>
> this statement is so unfortunate
>
> i know you didn't mean it this way, martin, and i know your heart's in
> the
> right place, but if i were ron i'd be feeling pretty pissed off at this
> point
>
> ron's offer is not a "favour"

Sorry, Rudy - you associated the 2 things which were not intended to be
associated, nor did I say or imply that they were.

My point was to get the design principles right first, against which we
can evaluate any and all offers of hosting, making sure that wherever we
are hosted, it has the capacity, flexibility and futureproofing we need,
to reduce the risk of future moves.

Now I know that Ron has a professional setup, where client's kit is
hosted in the proper environment and with the proper support, and at
first reading (haven't had time to do a second one), his offer to evolt
reads that way. Other offers may not (the "Hey kids, let's do the show
*right here*" option of boxes sitting under desks or whatever).

It's simple due diligence - making sure that we do something this
significant correctly, rather than just expediantly. (Expediant is fine
for experimental, interim solutions, but not for production use, which
is why I would like the Wiki running off an evolt-managed service,
rather than where it is now, or on my home OSX box). To do anything else
is raising enormous levels of risk for evolt.org.

Any proper, professional outfit will be well used to going through it,
and will be pleased to demonstrate how it can meet and exceed proper
criteria. If Ron's offer is not a favour (and I think you're right),
then this is how we are convinced. Once we're convinced btw, then the
responsibility for the decision sits with us, so we can't complain to
Ron "But you never told us xyz".

If Ron is pissed off about being asked to demonstrate his outfit's
capabilities for something this significant, it would be a major
questionmark in my mind.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,