Prioritisation vote: [Theforum] Re: meo

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue May 21 04:49:15 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 10:32 AM
Subject: RE: Prioritisation vote: [Theforum] Re: meo

> [snip]
>
> apparently we're a free-for-all photo posting service as well.
> http://members.evolt.org/pjw/gigs_album/album.php

which is part of www.giglistings.co.uk - go there and expand the forum/pix
section on the left - the rest of the stuff seems to be hosted on a ASP
site, so perhaps using a PHP photo upload/display service wasn't an option
with their current host.  Still doesn't excuse the blatant abuse tho :)

> with a frontdoor that goes straight to a commercial venture:
> http://members.evolt.org/pjw/ (http://www.bw3.co.uk/)

omg i HATE sites which resize my browser!!!

> there are countless more examples i found by just looking at the april
> stats.

shame that :(

> unfortunately, this is an aspect of offering a free service that
> isn't the bright side of it.  however, i don't think it's fair to say
> that those contributing should help fund this sort of abuse of
> privileges.
>
> i'm not pointing any of these things out to say that we're not doing
> our job.  i'm only pointing out the unfortunate side effect of
> offering the service we offer.  if it's free, it *will* be abused by
> some members.

yep, and I think the definite way forward is to either charge for meo (which
obviously entails formalising the service waaaaaay more than it is at
present) or just to scrap the web hosting part and retain the email service.
If someone can think of a cooler alternative, excellent - but I think the
status quo isn't usable as a going concern given the way things are going.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'