[Theforum] FundRaising and Hosting/Move Solutions Proposal

Patti Ames patti at pattiames.com
Tue May 21 17:06:26 CDT 2002

At 12:30 AM -0400 5/20/02, Ron Dorman wrote:

>3)  Moving.  We have basically two options for moving, here or anywhere.
>
>3.a)  No down-time move.  This requires more planning, coordination and
>a few tasks not needed in a down-time move.  We have enough capacity
>here to move some things (all right now) to our servers and keep them
>running while we move the boxes.  We should have to resync data when the
>evolt.org boxes arrive here and then resume service off the evolt.org
>boxes again.  The amount of services that could be moved here
>temporarily will depend on how much hosting comes into CSI between now
>and the move.  We might be able to do it all at once, or we might have
>to do it a box at time.

IMO, this is the more cumbersome technique, but (IMO) completely
worth it. With a spare, temporary box and a backup tape (are there
backups?) of weo, you've got a 1 day old version of weo and not too
much in the way of shipping costs.

>3.b)  Down-time move.  This would require announcing a day or two of
>downtime, doing backups, shutting down, moving, starting and testing,
>then serving off the evolt.org boxes.

Don't forget about the "moves never go smoothly" fudge factor. I have
done a lot of moves, and almost none have gone smoothly. Expecting
the move to only take 2 days - with a 34hr drive - is pretty
optimistic. I recently shipped a 2u, 35lb server across the country
(CA -> NC) for $60.

Another option: I checked the pricing of he.net. No, I don't work for
them, so I can't get some really cool discount. But it would be
$300/mo for half of a rack of real estate + $400/mo for .5Mb.
(Obviously, this is not enough for beo.)

Just another option.

And I'd be happy to do any unix administration. (Its what I have
gotten paid to do for the last 3 years; my credentials are:
http://pattiames.com/resume.html .) I think that I added myself to
SystemAdmin on the wiki.

Patti