[Theforum] Once More, with Design

Marlene Bruce marlene at members.evolt.org
Thu May 23 14:54:38 CDT 2002

>Also, if you can
>elaborate on your design skill set, that'd be great. Let's get talking. I
>know that some people prefer to have a separate list; should we do that?
>Should we not?

I think if we're going to get down into the nitty gritty of design we
should have a separate list for those interested, just like thesite.
I'll be happy to elaborate on my skill set there, or here, whichever.

>A while back I threw out an idea about a redesign contest (after we get the
>specs worked out, natch). That was shot down but never elaborated on.

That idea should be raised from the dead. I'd like to open up design
to anyone who wants to submit ideas/comps.

>Please take a look at Javi's fabu IA diagram:
>http://members.evolt.org/mantruc/evolt-ia/

We should absolutely pin down IA before any redesign efforts are
done. As I said on my wiki page:

1. I'd like to see IA work completed BEFORE we have our next
redesign. Javier and I have talked about it a little and there's work
in progress at a site Javier posted. However, we should really
consider starting an InformationArchitectureWiki.
2. Before undertaking a redesign we should develop a functional
specification and/or design document to guide the potential
designer(s).
3. I believe we should accept multiple design directions before
deciding which way to go.

But none of this without getting the information architecture work
done first! And then there's usability...

>Here are the results from the neato SurveyMonkey Survey taken in January:
>http://five2one.org/evolt/evoltsurveyresults.html

The answer to #40 is telling. Where are the "fill in the blank"
answers ... couldn't find them linked off
http://five2one.org/evolt/survey/.

?

>Meanwhile, I'm going to take some of the forms from these excellent ladies
>http://www.web-redesign.com/index.html and see if I can make a wiki-ish
>thing that would work for us.

Not familiar with that particular book, but it seems to echo other
"best practices" I've seen/participated in...

Fab.

Marlene