[Theforum] BEO again

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 11:21:17 CDT 2002

> From: Ron Dorman <rwd at csi1st.net>
>
> > Not sure if this will help or not but for April:
> >
> >    http://members.evolt.org/dmah/browsers_by_download.html
> >    http://members.evolt.org/dmah/browsers_by_name.html
>
> Yes, thanks.  Now we just need to find which of the big downloads are
> still available from MS and NetScape.  Could save some data transfer
> cost.

it could, yes, and i think that's a great idea...

however, one of the most requested archives has been IE4, and the
d/l stats bear that out... MS doesn't offer IE4, or 5 even, on their
site, so you're stuck hunting for it...

other browsers up there, however, most notably all NN and N
archives, could be pointed back to the netscape site...

IE's the bear, though, one that people can't really get elsewhere...

i know you said throttling doesn't do much, but if we limit
simultaneous connections to those directories (can you limit to
that level of granularity?), we could cut down the number of d/ls per
day, and ideally, the bandwidth associated with it would be cut...

or is that wrong?

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself