[Theforum] community vs. corporations

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat May 25 13:55:52 CDT 2002

Marlene wrote:
> I agree. Creating a little bit of a barrier will help determine who
> really finds having meo useful

The problem with saying we're doing this because it's a "barrier," is that
we already have a barrier in place. You don't get an account if you've
just signed up for a weo account yesterday, for instance. If you want to
get beyond the barrier without actually contributing, you have to sign up
for a weo account, wait like three months, then submit a meo application.

meo accounts go to members of our community. That's the barrier. If we
need the cashola, ok... but let's be upfront about it.

(Not to say that anyone wasn't being upfront about it. I mean "us" as
evolt.org)

Passing this off as implementing a needed barrier is just something to
make this easier to go through "the system."

So, let's be honest:

We're exploiting the popularity of the meo service because we feel we have
to.

Would we be considering this if we had only 20 members? You can say
"yes" if you'd like, but I highly doubt that would be the case.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com