[Theforum] meo barriers

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sat May 25 17:05:14 CDT 2002

Marlene wrote:
>No, we're considering asking people who use m.e.o. to give back to
>evolt.org one way or another, but to give back in the end.
>
>This is very important for you to comprehend. I'm *not* saying they
>have to give us money or else, I'm saying that if they don't
>contribute in other ways, they need to contribute monetarily

Ok, so maybe you're not saying that. Sorry.

But others are.

There is a difference between:

"everyone has to contribute non-monitarily, except mwarden who
doesn't -- he has to pay $$$ to keep his members account."

and

"everyone has to pay, except isaac, who contributes very much
non-monetarily."

You seem to be placing the *exceptions* into the monetary category, while
(if im not mistaken) everyone else has been placing the exceptions into
the non-monetary category.

>I'm not misrepresenting things. I said the page doesn't require
>giving back, and it doesn't.

Ok, great. Someone should change the wording on the page then, because it
*is* required.

>That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Matt, I really truly think you
>and I are on the same page. I think we're getting snagged on a couple
>of minor misunderstandings, but I think we both want people to
>contribute one way or another.

Now, since you've clarified yourself, I agree that we're on the same
page. But, honestly, this is the first I've heard of the approach you're
taking. Mainly because it's not a change from how things are done now -
except maybe increased policing.

>If we can succeed in keeping afloat by the end of the year by
>accepting no-strings-attached corporate sponsorship/donations, by all
>means go for it!

ChiliSoft wasn't a no-strings-attached deal. They definitely are getting
something in return, including their product name on our site.

I'm just saying that there is a fine line between evolt.org surviving with
corporate sponsorhip and evolt.org *dying* and being replaced by something
else with the same name because of corporate sponsorship.

>So you don't think people should be required to give back in order to
>get a members account?

Why do you have to ask questions like this when I have already made my
stance clear? This is the kind of "old admin" stuff I'm talking about.

Have you stopped kicking your dog?

>Oh, well I don't know about other people, but I'm suggesting the
>money will be used to keep all of evolt.org alive, including m.e.o.
>and b.e.o..

And I think that's wrong. But, if that's what we have to do, that's what
we have to do.

>I think the way we're missing each other's meaning here could
>have to do with my use of the word barrier

No, I understand what a barrier is.

>So when I say "barrier" I mean that we'll make the community a better
>place by requiring our members using m.e.o. to give back either
>through participation or through monetary giving

And I'm saying we already do that! -- regardless of whether or not it uses
the word "required" on the signup page.

>Hey Matt, if you're still unhappy with what I've written, could I
>call you and talk with you about it and see if we can resolve our
>cross-communication that way? I think it would help a great deal. I
>don't seem to have your phone number ... would you send it to me
>off-list?

I have a habit of replying as I read, so... sorry about that. If you still
want to talk over the phone, I'll be around for another 30 minutes or so:

http://www.mattwarden.com/contact.shtml

Although, I do think we understand each other now, right? I just didn't
think that's what you meant since I don't think that's what everyone else
means...

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com