[Theforum] meo barriers

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun May 26 18:25:29 CDT 2002

On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 06:05  pm, Warden, Matt wrote:

> Anyways, I started kicking ass with regard to meo accounts the other
> day.

Thankyou.

> Amazingly enough (or not, depending on who you are), most of the
> "offenders" were people on this list and the admin list. 36%, actually.

 From your blog, you seem to be talking only about disk quotas. If people
are over disk quota then they shouldn't be (unless anyone wants to try
arguing for special dispensation)

So that's one part of the story. What about about:
1) Excessive bandwidth use
2) Use which falls outwith the critera set out on the front page of me
(these were the main point of discussion around meo abuse, remember,
rather than just over-use of disk space)

(btw is it possible to put in disk quotas so you don't have to write the
'cut your space' emails that you don't like writing? Something like
http://new.linuxnow.com/docs/content/Quota/Quota.html )

> So, I dunno how the extra barrier helps that.

Helps keep out people who are looking for "space for MP3's, bulletin
boards, chatrooms, pictures of Mandy Moore, or Star Trek episodes" or
"personal bulletin boards, a fast link for you to put files/images on,
or some place to come because you don't feel like paying for hosting"

> I currently approve about 1 of 15 or so applications. What is that... a
> bit over 5%? So, we currently have a barrier that keeps out 95% of
> applicants.

That's one good half of the story. Now let's look at the other half - of
the 850 or so meo accounts, how many are using the web space to enhance
their skills technologies they already know, or learn new technologies?

Additionally, how many of the 850 meo account holders could you make a
case for being contributing members to evolt.org?

This isn't an audit, or a cricitism of past account grants btw - we are
where we are and on balance, it's very much good. It's simply to
understand whether it could be even better.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,