[Theforum] m.e.o. management (was: meo barriers)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon May 27 03:17:34 CDT 2002

On Monday, May 27, 2002, at 07:55  am, Marlene Bruce wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
>>  >That's one good half of the story. Now let's look at the other
>> half - of
>>  >the 850 or so meo accounts, how many are using the web space to
>> enhance
>>  >their skills technologies they already know, or learn new
>> technologies?
>
> Matt responded:
>
>> Tell you what, I'll give you a directory listing, and you can start
>> looking through all the accounts, k?
>
> I'm confused about who the m.e.o. manager is. I had the erroneous
> impression that Matt was that person, but he's indicated that it's
> not his responsibility.

Calm, Marlene - I don't think that's what Matt said, just "hey, that's a
crapload of work which you probably didn't realise." And that's OK.

> We need to resolve the following issues:
>
> 1.  Who should be managing m.e.o.?

Good question - you have a choice of the 5 groups. Makes sense for it to
be the sysadmin group which actually *does* it

> 2.  We need to readdress the written admission policy for m.e.o..
> Several of us have agreed that it needs to be better defined.
>
> 3.  The management criteria need to be defined

These 2 go together - "what do we want meo hosting to *be*" I think the
way it's currently written on the front page of meo is about right,
although it would be even better if it were spelled out in detail in the
TOS, which would include how it's enforced.

Once we have it agreed (and I think that agreement has to come from here
or the SteeringCttee when we have it), then it shouldn't need much in
the way of changes until it's shown to be improveable.

> Having a formal
> document would be essential if someone disputes our decision to
> remove them, and would undoubtedly come in handy for other reasons as
> well.

Useful, yes. One of the other uses is so that the sysadmin group can
avoid unnecessary challenge when they're following the policy.

> 4.  We need the m.e.o. management group to assess current usage of
> m.e.o., address issues of misuse, and inform m.e.o. account holders
> of changes to our policies as they arise.

Yup.

> There are a number of ways the management and assessment task would
> help evolt.org survive and thrive:
>
> * Proper assessment of m.e.o. would assist us in accurately
> determining our server needs as we look for hosting solutions.
>
> * If m.e.o. account holders aren't using their space for the intended
> purpose, we should open that space up to those who could really use
> it. This could bolster our community (see numbers 3 and 4).
>
> * In monitoring m.e.o., the administrating group would encourage
> participation in evolt.org. That participation may help us in
> unforeseen ways. Perhaps someone who starts participating would have
> knowledge or energy or other resources they could contribute towards
> solving our current predicament.
>
> * Proper management of m.e.o. would help us financially. Those people
> who *are* using their account for skills growth, but *aren't* giving
> back to the community would be required to start participating *or*
> contribute monetary support. We could really use the money, if
> nothing else.

Sounds sensible.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,