[Theforum] Lists Closed to Subscription

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 4 22:29:13 CDT 2002

Chris Spruck writes:

> At 08:35 PM 6/4/02 -0600, Dean Mah wrote:
> >Now that everyone has had time to get into their group and subscribe
> >their list, correct?  Should the lists, namely content, sysadmin,
> >thesite, marketing, and finance be closed to subscriptions?
>
> I've been on the periphery of most of the recent discussion, so I
> apologize if I've missed something. Is there any particular reason
> to close subscriptions to these lists?

Subscription to the admin list was closed and by invitation only.  The
admin list has changed into the content list.  This made me wonder if
the content list should be closed to subscriptions which led me to
wonder if all of the lists should be closed.  From what I understood
of the groups is that they would only accept a limited number of
members.  If the lists are open to anyone, I don't see how this is
enforced.

> Does subscription to any given list necessarily imply active duty
> within a group?

It implies that you have a voice.  How does that affect voting within
the group?

> Closing subs *would* prevent spammers from subbing just to spam,
> then dropping their subscription. Any further pros or cons?

BTW, it doesn't matter either way to me.  Just thought that I would
ask.

Dean