[Theforum] hosting... where are we at right now?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 14:28:01 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 08:13  pm, John Handelaar wrote:

>> ok. how are these things related to ron's offer though?
>
> Only slightly:  the one thing (for me the one that matters)
> about which we have no idea whatsoever from Ron - so far -
> is a price quote.
>
> I guess everyone's started waiting for Sysadmin to draft
> requirements first.  Which is a mistake.  Let's start with
> asking Ron for a quote on replicating what we have, then
> start arguing about what we're going to drop when theforum
> belatedly realises that we're not even close to *that*
> amount of money :-)

I think the 2 things can happen in parallel, but before any final
decision is made, *any* hosting provider has to be objectively matched
against what we need.

Unless I'm mistaken, we need
1) Enough floor/rack space
2) Gobs of bandwidth (140Gig/month+ total)
3) Decent support which can react in a short space of time to any
problems.

Really, it can't take *too* long to fill in the categories at
http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/EvoltHostingRequirements
assuming
1) We continue to run our own boxes for the present time
2) We continue to run the current software for the present time

We do have enough experience in this group to understand our needs.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,