[Theforum] hosting... where are we at right now?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 14:28:51 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 07:51  pm, Daniel J. Cody wrote:

>> SysAdmin are apparently working on requirements, although it hasn't
>> appeared on the wiki as yet. Last visible discussion on the sysadmin
>> list
>> is at http://lists.evolt.org/sysadminarchive/2002-June/000038.html
>>
>> Marketing are working on a 'why give free/cheap stuff to evolt'
>> statement
>> which is currently at
>> http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/EvoltEvangelism
>>
>> It slipped my mind (and apparently everyone else's), but we do have
>> another
>> standing offer:
>> http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020401/003730.html
>> which is free (as in beer).
>>
>> You did some investigation and couldn't find anything negative about
>> them
>> beyond that they use VMWare-type partitions for hosting.
>> You suggested at that time moving beo there as a first test:
>> http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020415/003828.html
>> which sounded sensible.
>
> ok. how are these things related to ron's offer though? does he need to
> pitch about 'why give  to evolt'?

The pitch is in the other direction - Ron I think already understands
why it's A Good Thing to support evolt.org.

> i understand why thats being done(and
> it should be), and maybe i'm confused, but most of these things really
> aren't germane to ron's offer, or miriam/my inquiry.

As has already been said, if anyone thinks that a good basis for giving
the hosting to anyone (especially if evolt.org is paying for it) is any
of
a) "mates"
b) laziness in working out whether an offer meets our needs
c) laziness in seeking other offers
is lacking in understanding or regard for evolt.org

In any case, *who* it goes to is not your problem, and not your question
to ask.

That it moves as soon as is practical is, and be assured evolt.org
working on it. When we have selected a host that is appropriate for us,
we will move at the earliest convenient time.

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,