[Theforum] another online community in trouble

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Wed Jun 19 06:28:13 CDT 2002

Tara Cleveland said:
> However, having said that, text ads by evolt members for other members
> - community ads - seems okay by me. It\'s kinda like the bulletin board
> at the local grocery store instead of a billboard by the side of the
> highway obstructing the view of the countryside.

I would prefer to keep to corporate text ads, and not involve the members.
First of all, if members want to advertise services that badly, they won't
be putting themselves that badly off in the eyes of other members by being a
large sponsor for a month. Secondly, we're more likely to be able to get
more money for textads if there's less of 'em. That also means we have less
to try to get people interested in. Easier to manage etc etc. also, I think
you'd find interest would be high at first, because people would want to
support the community, but then it would wane...whereas corporate sponsor
recognitions would be much better, I feel, at pulling in a certain amount of
money repeatedly.

>  I also like the \"sponsor a student idea\".
> Maybe we could have something where students sign up to be sponsored
> and put down a little photo and a bio and our richer members can
> *choose* a student to sponsor? Might be a laugh... it works for Foster
> Parents Plan...

Pick me, pick me! ;P

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/